The Kanban Method as developed and promoted by David Anderson and the Lean Kanban University has become a powerful method for teams and organizations to:
- Become faster and more responsive
- Increase shared ownership of project outcomes
- Improve risk management and governance
- Identify high-value deliverables
- Advance organizational agility
This Kanban System Design (KMP I) class, the first step in becoming a certified Kanban Management Professional (KMP), will cover the principles and practices of the Kanban Method, providing you with the tools to increase agility in your work and business context.
Meet your trainer: Kert Peterson
Since apprenticing with Ken Schwaber and being designated a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST®) in 2004, Kert Peterson has provided Agile training, coaching, and consulting services to a wide range of clients in the private and public sectors, including Fidelity Investments, Mission Health, and DC Public School Educators.
At Bank of America, Peterson launched multiple Kanban teams in a 6-month transition to a lean-agile delivery system for 120-person Customer Profitability organization. Peterson achieved his Accredited Kanban Trainer (AKT) designation in May 2018 , completing study with Janice Linden-Reed and Alexei Zheglov of LKU.
Prior to starting his consulting practice, Peterson served as a senior program manager at Amazon.com, where he guided development teams through three major releases of Web site services used by more than 17 million customers. He holds a bachelor of science in mathematics from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Peterson lives with his family in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Brevard, NC.
KMP Course Description
Suitable for managers and leaders involved in the delivery of professional services such as application development, infrastructure, or operations, the Kanban System Design (KMP I) certification class prepares you for design and use of a full customer-focused service delivery Kanban system.
Through hands-on simulations, group dialogue, and material, you will gain a deep understanding of the Lean Kanban principles and practices and understand how Lean Kanban helps individuals, teams, and organizations to balance the workload, visualize work, and improve the delivery of high-quality services and products.
This course follows the official Lean Kanban University training materials produced by leading experts such as David J Anderson, Mike Burrows, and others.
- Understanding Kanban systems
- Experience flow in a Kanban simulation
- Learn and use STATIK (Systems Thinking Approach to Introducing Kanban) to design your Kanban system.
- Visual board design and ticket design.
- Analyzing Demand and Capability
- Modelling Workflow
- Discovering and creating a context for change
The class contains a strong mix of interactive group exercises and simulations during both days.
Who Should Attend
Anyone in professional or information technology services organizations involved in managing the delivery of products or services to their customers.
Non-IT disciplines that would benefit by managing with the Kanban Method, as outlined in this class, include:
- Human Resources
- Legal, and
- Any other service delivery or knowledge work domains who want to implement a Lean-Agile approach for delivery of customer value.
This training class is certified by Lean Kanban University (LKU) as KMP I level training. Participants receive LKU certificates of class completion.
LKU awards the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) credential to those who have successfully completed:
- This class, and
- The Kanban Management Professional (KMP II) class. The Kanban Management Professional (KMP II) is a more advanced class, and is recommended only after one has taken the KMP I class and has had at least four to six months of experience applying the Kanban Method.
- Lean Kanban University certified training curriculum and teaching methods were created through the collaboration of leading experts and has been validated in hundreds of training classes around the world.
- You will receive pragmatic, actionable guidance you can implement in your organization next week and a modern management lens that you can apply throughout your career.
- You will receive training from an Accredited Kanban Trainer, who has experience teaching and coaching Kanban within Fortune 200 and non-profit organizations.
- Printed workbook of course materials
- Lunch and snacks on both days
- Membership in the Lean-Kanban University (LKU) with access to the members’ only sections of the LKU website
- Lean-Kanban University (LKU) certificate of course completion